Wednesday 12 December 2018

Wrap Up Warm

Hello and thanks so much for taking time to visit during this hectic crafting period.

My card today is very much inspired by a beautiful canvas created by Monika at Mistletoe Home Decoration with Tim Holtz's umbrella man die as central focus.


I've closely followed the steps outlined by Monika. First I painted watercolour paper with 3 graduating shades of grey acrylic paint. By the end however I covered up the bottom third with Snow-tex. Stamped trees twice using Penny Black 'Snow Dust' stamp and Archival 'Watering Can' ink. Then splattered on oodles of white paint. (It helps to make the first lot of splatters more watery and then use thicker paint towards end of process). I didn't have sufficient space on card to incorporate any fence so unfortunately I haven't at all achieved the depth that Monika did but hey ho - it's just a card. I thought that black cardstock looked a little stark on the card so painted my die cut umbrella man with Dina Wakley's 'Night' paint which is a lovely dark navy. Similarly I painted the backing card mat, and 'Merry' text with 'Night' paint to tone in. Note to self - buy navy cardstock! I bought this Merry Christmas die in sale last January so this is it's first use. I love the font on 'Christmas'. I've sparkled up the brollie, star and text with glitter dust in 'Vintage Platinum'. It has a fabulous sparkle that I just can't capture on camera.

Ingredients

Dies: Sizzix Bigz / Tim Holtz 'Umbrella Man', Sizzix Thinlits / Tim Holtz 'Retro Merry Christmas',

Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology 'Christmas Adornments', Muslin 'scarf' to keep warm,

Media: Paper Artsy acrylic paints, Ranger 'Watering Can' archival ink, Dina Wakley 'Night' paint, Ranger Glossy Accents, Ranger Distress glitter dust 'Vintage Platinum', Ranger Stickles 'Mercury Glass'. (Last is same shade as glitter dust so if fine glitter dust rubs off one can cover any blips with stickles).

Thanks again for stopping by,

Nicola x

I wish to enter card to the following challenges:
Simon Monday - Warm Winter Wishes
A Vintage Journey - Star Light, Star Bright
Scrapyland - Anything Goes, using a die brand carried by Scrapyland(sizzix)
Alphabet Challenge - S is for Seasons Greetings
Country View Crafts - Christmas
Aud Sentiments - Anything Goes plus a sentiment
Merry Little Christmas - December Anything Christmas Goes
Simon Wednesday - Christmas
Sir Stampalot - Winter Sparkle
Papirlosjen - Alt er Lov (Anything Goes)

22 comments:

  1. Oh, Umbrella Man always makes me happy (well, he makes me feel slightly melancholy actually, but in a good way!) - and you've done him proud here. The wispy scarf is a brilliant touch, and I think I need to find myself a glittery umbrella!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oops... thank you so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey, of course! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful your card, I can feel the snow!
    Happy Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great card with Umbrella Man. Thanks for linking up at Stamping Sensations

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, Nicola, this is absolutely stunning!! I love the amazing texture!! You've created a perfect wintry scene!! I love the sparkly umbrella and his scarf!! This is spectacular, my friend!! I love, love it!! And I'm so glad you shared it at Scrapy Land, too!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Nicola!!! This card is beautiful!!! I love the glitter gold elements - they make your card festive!!! Thank you for linking me! And thank you for joining the December challenge of the Country View Challenges! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mr Umbrella man looks delightful standing under his platinum brolly in a snowstorm wearing his warm scarf to keep out the cold. Love your card Nicola with its wintry feel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh-mazing!!! Love everything about it! Thanks so very much for sharing!💕

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came back to say thank you for joining in with us at A Vintage Journey, but see my comment is missing :( I do love Umbrella man and he looks wonderful in the snowy scene that you created. He really does look wrapped up nice and warm with his scarf and hat on and the star in the corner is such a beautiful finishing touch! Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is just fabulous Nicola, I love, love, love using the Umbrella man like that, so clever (and one to remember). The background looks super too! Love this big time! Oh and of course thanks for adding it to AVJ!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautyful card! Love the snow effect on the card. Thank you for joining Papirlosjens challenge #alt er lov.
    Hugs from DT-Synnøve

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my word! This card just takes my breath away! I love your snowy background and (squeal) using the umbrella man is just genius! I love the Retro MC die and just used it, in fact! I'm delighted to see you've linked this to A Vintage Journey's Star Light, Star Bright challenge! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. VERY creation and Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Thanks so much for playing in our Merry Little Christmas Challenge! Good Luck and I look forward to seeing you again next month!

    Darlene
    Merry Little Christmas DT
    MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a beautiful poetic card ! I love the colors and the texture. Thank you for joining us at Scrapyland Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this wintry scene! Thank you for sharing with us at the Alphabet Challenge, and hope you can join us again soon ~ Janice DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful snowy scene Nicola - so fun with the snow filled sky, the great scarf tied around umbrella man's neck - the touches of gold and bright star in the sky! thank you for joining us in the A Vintage Journey Star Challenge! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Completely amazing! Wow Nicola, I really like this card soo much~
    The muted tones and the realistic snow! (look at how it 'puddles' around his shoes) and the textures (his scarf, the glittery umbrella, star and 'Christmas') all add to the beauty~ karen o

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely ADORE your card , Nicola using one of my all time faves- umbrella man . Boy have you've worked him well in this beautiful wintry scene. Superb creativity .
    Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey .
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous use of the Umbrella Man! I love, how you turned him to a wintery walker.
    Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Challenges. I wish you a Merry Christmas!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is beautiful, I love the scarf that you've given Mr Umbrella Man, and the sparkle on the brollie and text is perfect, such a lovely colour. Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts, and have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous card! I love the trees and how you were able to make them look so distant. The snowy look is done brilliantly and I love Mr Umbrella Man.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you! Your visit and comment is very much appreciated. Nicola x