I smiled when I saw the challenge theme "Shopping Sins" at Our Creative Corner this month; there are three things for sure in my life; death, taxes and overspending!
So having been away from crafting for most of this month I've spent the last few days working on today's piece in my favourite vintage style. I'm mortified to have so many long unused items in my stash - the main contenders here were some Kaisercraft mini drawers, several uninked sewing themed stamp sets and a few untested crackle mediums.
Re wooden part of mini drawers: Painted all the wooden parts first with gesso, then PaperArtsy 'Snowflake', followed by PaperArtsy 'Old Gold'. I had bought some crackle products to try and improve on efforts to date - glad to finally put them to test. I like result from Decoart One Step Crackle (you can see on gold pediment). My first choice however goes to Kroma crackle - you can see its lizardlike results on the front part of cabinet. Some of the more thickly crackled areas are where I have done a double coat of crackle to experiment.
Re little drawers: All the hidden drawers are painted with PaperArtsy 'Ice Blue' followed by a coat of 'Metallic Glaze'. I tied string around each drawer when gluing its sides to keep them together whilst the glue set (rather fiddly). Opened packaging on my Krylon gold pen to gild the edge of each of the drawers - I like result so will use this pen a lot!
Decorative fronts and sides: The lovely papers are from Maja Design 'Vintage Summer Basics' collection. The drawer fronts were all punched out, stamped and gold embossed with several images being double foam mounted. I've added lots of sewing themed paraphernalia. The stamps used throughout piece are from Crafty Individuals CI-328 (first use) and CI-306 (both following Laura's inspiration), Chapel Road Artstamps "Sew Much to Do" and Studio 490 Wendy Vecchi "Art By Hand" (again it's first use).
Feet and Pediments
You'll also have noticed the cabinet feet and pediment. I die cut two layers of chipboard (by 4) for the feet using Sizzix Bigz Ironworks die. Made sure all the fleurs-de-lis were same height and glued each twosome together and then painted with Fresco 'Old Gold' followed by 'One Step Crackle'. I used loctite glue to hold these in place for a fast glue result. They are holding very solidly. The pediments at the top are also diecut from chipboard using Sizzix Bigz On-The-Edge 'Ornate'. The lower white one is Fresco 'Snowflake' coated with Kroma crackle to see how the crackle would look without a gold paint layer below.
The cabinet rear is also stamped and embossed with some machine stitching too. Santa brought me a sewing machine - I'm pleased to be finally trying it out!
The right side of cabinet shows the mannequin in use by this particular sewing establishment - again cut from chipboard using Bigz 'Sewing Room' die, painted as before and dressed in some finery
Finally, a close up of the cabinet top:
A word of thanks too to May, Cathi and Alison who all provided some of the ingredients used in this piece.
Thank-you so much for stopping by and enjoy the rest of your week,
I wish to enter cabinet to the following challenges:
Our Creative Corner - No more shopping sins (Guilty as accused!)
Vintage Udfordring - Use Dies and/or Punch
The Ribbon Girl Challenge - Anything Goes
Allsorts Challenge - Vintage
It's all about the vintage - Embossing
Fussy and Fancy Friday - Vintage
Sugar Creek Hollow - Fibres & Texture
Stamping Sensations - Ribbon, Buttons and Bows
Sweet Stampin - In Stitches
Bunny Zoe's Crafts - Stitching
Inspiration Emporium - Diecuts and Punches